The role of parents
The support of parents is vital to a swimmer's development and success in swimming right from their first visit to a Swimming Pool. Swimming should be an enjoyable experience for everyone. Start with family visits, bring them to their first lessons, join a club and make sure they come regularly.
Parents, in their enthusiasm for their child's success, should avoid exerting undue pressure on children. Make a positive contribution in the following ways:-
- Help create the right environment in which your children’s personal swimming ambitions can flourish.
- Congratulate success and provide support and sympathy when required.
- Be aware of their aims and ambitions.
- Learn something of the coaching schemes that the coaches are using in their efforts to achieve those goals.
- Encourage the setting of targets, each one a little beyond what currently seems attainable.
- Support your swimmers' teachers and coaches and the running of the club.
- Make positive suggestions rather than negative criticism.
The club has a constant need of help in many different ways and if more people are able to assist it spreads the load. If you can spare a few hours join the Committee, or help with social events or fund raising. Helpers are needed on poolside to assist with getting out and putting away equipment, helping teachers, and recording times during training sessions and competitions. New teachers are always welcome. Courses for teachers are run at Newton Abbot Leisure Centre and elsewhere in Devon.
The Club Committee, elected at the Annual General Meeting is made up of the President, Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Competition Secretary, Team Manager, Minute Secretary, Water Polo Secretary, and up to 8 additional members.
Additional non committee posts are those of Ladies and Men’s Club Captains, Junior Captains, Deputy Captains, Trophy Controller, Publicity officer, Social secretary, Registration officer, Welfare officer, Masters secretary, Open Meet organiser, Officials Organiser, Membership Secretary, Assistant secretary and Life Saving Secretary. Some may be filled by Committee members in addition to their other responsibilities.